Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August Wrap

So, summer's over. Womp-womp. I actually don't have a lot of time, so I'll let pictures do most of the talking this time.

Some days were downright lazy.


There was definitely a lot of cuddle time with Sully and my handsome husband Naveen Nattam, who will be celebrating a 2nd wedding anniversary with me soon.


I had a lot of time to cook, so I found myself trying out recipes involving potatoes and eggs, when normally I don't buy either (if I generally don't have time to cook, I don't buy eggs or potatoes because they'll go bad too quickly for me to use them).


We found ourselves going to a lot of house parties with our friends in PA. It was really great to get out and have fun with everyone. We really aren't too crazy at these things.. Hubby plays a lot of Rockband, I chum around, both of us with drinks in our hands. Our friends share a house there and typically invite 20-30 people, and there hasn't been a boring night yet.


It wouldn't be summer without a major car expense - but at least we didn't have to pay for this one. In one of my many trips to/from PA this summer, I was driving next to a construction site and they dropped/flung a small piece of concrete at me and accidentally smashed my windshield. Luckily I had my sun visor down, or I would have had bits of glass in my eyes and face. No injuries, just a lot of glass fragments in the car and a windshield to be replaced, all at the construction company's expense. Thankfully they were nice about it and didn't make problems for me. The cop told me this was the worst construction related accident he had ever seen, and said that besides escaping injury, I was also lucky they were accepting responsibility so readily and offering reimbursement without question.


A lot of our evenings looked like this, as hubby and I aspire to advance in our careers and talents. Plus we just love what we do. :)


Finally, I must say that working at the preschool this summer was for the most part a real blessing for me. Sure, this part-time job was taken on a whim and I missed out on a lot of the summer relaxation by the pool, which bothers me a little. There were definitely those days where I got annoyed with a couple troublemakers, or struggled to agree with certain teaching or management styles facing me. But on the whole, I'm coming away from the experience so very happy that I did it. I learned that I can captivate, teach, and enjoy the playful company of 30 kids at a time. They were so imaginative, and growing so much with each other. Even in just a few months, I watched a couple of them go from shy, introverted kids, to happy, bouncy extroverts with their friends. By the end, it was really hard to leave, and I was even asked to stay through the year, but I always intended this to be just for summer and then return to animation in the fall. I'll always remember these kids, though!

For more CFM pictures, click here.

1 comment:

Laura "Sko" said...

I guess it's time to retire this bio:

This summer (2010) I am working part-time as a preschool teacher! I am hoping it will expand my knowledge of children, help me to think more simply, and add structure to my life while I am practicing animation at home.

Laura has her eyes out for a new collaborative animation project, especially since the successful completion of 13 eight-minute episodes and interactive webisodes of "Abby's Flying Fairy School" for Sesame Street, which she worked on with SpeakeasyFX. She continues to develop IPs with fellow animators there while she seeks continuing employment as an animator. She is happily married and lives with her husband and kitty in New Jersey.