Thursday, October 04, 2007

Maintaining Your Knowledge Base

Time and time again we hear from our dear AM crew exactly how important it is to expand and maintain your own personal knowledge base on animation (and in life, haha!), and of course, it is imperative. So, I don't know if anybody else does this, but throughout all of my work on my class 6 project so far, I've been building a knowledge base for myself: just a simple text file that I try to keep organized by topic, and update weekly with problems I ran into or solutions I found. It definitely helps me retain things I've learned. You're welcome to check it out here:

http://laurasko.com/files/AM/MisfitMagician/KnowledgeBase.txt

It isn't anything to brag about. It's just really helpful so I'd encourage everyone to try it.

Keep visiting forums, reading, and asking questions to get answers - but I'd highly recommend keeping a log of what you've learned. It's awesome to look back on later, too!

2 comments:

ids said...

You don't have to use a primitive mode such as a text file. Use a blog itself. See here.

Laura "Sko" said...

Thanks Ishan! Blogs are great ways to store what you learn. I'd definitely recommend it. Originally when I started my simple txt file, I considered a blog, but I have a few others and casually decided I wanted to keep my knowledge base very simple for now. I'm not storing everything - just the most troublesome things I've run into recently and need reminders to help me keep working steadily. But I do agree, blogs are sure great for organization though!