Thursday, June 07, 2007

Where Have All The Lizards Gone

...to be sung to the tune of "Where have all the cowboys gone" - which, thanks to The Simpsons is stuck in my head (Apu was singing it in a karaoke scene).

Anyway. Seriously, where did they go? I wonder if the summertime heat in Orlando is too much for them. Just a month ago there seemed to be thousands of them, everywhere - much more so at night, when it was cooler and damper - but you'd still see quite a few in the day, especially in the grass or scaling walls or trees in the shade. Now I barely see any. We haven't had any porch visitors in a couple weeks, and there are very few to be seen scurrying around the sidewalks, day or night. And you know what this means.

BUGS.

It is actually unpleasant to go outside right now. I just went out to do the laundry, and I was bombarded. Not purposefully... As much as I hate the little guys, I know they aren't purposely attacking me. There are just swarms of them, these little gnats that are probably making a gazillion babies in the air... how excited their little bodies must be... but come on. It's a little ridiculous. I feel like I'm walking through a bugland rave party, mosh pit, orgy, what have you. It's uncomfortable.

It's curious how many people assume that living in Florida means I'm spending my day wearing Mickey Mouse ears, tanning poolside, with a margarita in one hand and a hobby magazine in the other. I'd love to! I simply haven't made time for it, and it seems that now that I'd like to on the weekend or whenever, there are too many bugs to enjoy it.

So, might as well keep working and just play Worms on Naveen's xbox360 when I want a break. ;)

No comments: